{A Slice of Brie: Book Club}

/
4 Comments

You guys. I finished a book! And it didn't have pictures and it had more than 10 pages. :)
Thank you Brie for hosting this online Book Club and for getting me back into reading for ME and for making it simple. Meaning I could read in bed. :)
This month Brie chose Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova.

null

Goodreads gave this description of the book:

Joe O’Brien is a forty-four-year-old police officer from the Irish Catholic neighborhood of Charlestown, Massachusetts. A devoted husband, proud father of four children in their twenties, and respected officer, Joe begins experiencing bouts of disorganized thinking, uncharacteristic temper outbursts, and strange, involuntary movements. He initially attributes these episodes to the stress of his job, but as these symptoms worsen, he agrees to see a neurologist and is handed a diagnosis that will change his and his family’s lives forever: Huntington’s Disease.

Huntington’s is a lethal neurodegenerative disease with no treatment and no cure. Each of Joe’s four children has a 50 percent chance of inheriting their father’s disease, and a simple blood test can reveal their genetic fate. While watching her potential future in her father’s escalating symptoms, twenty-one-year-old daughter Katie struggles with the questions this test imposes on her young adult life. Does she want to know? What if she’s gene positive? Can she live with the constant anxiety of not knowing?
As Joe’s symptoms worsen and he’s eventually stripped of his badge and more, Joe struggles to maintain hope and a sense of purpose, while Katie and her siblings must find the courage to either live a life “at risk” or learn their fate.

Overall - I really enjoyed this book and I looked forward to reading it every night. I loved her book Still Alice so found this book really easy to get into as well - which is a must for me. As much as I enjoyed this book it was heavy at times too. Being the cry baby that I am I shed tears, as I did with Still Alice. HD is an awful disease. There were moments where I had to stop reading and talk to Justin about it. Putting myself in their shoes I just don't know what I would do. I kept flip flopping on what I would do if I was given the hard choice to find out my genetic fate. On one hand I would want to live my life to the utmost fullest if I knew my days were numbered but I also wouldn't want to just be waiting for those symptoms of HD to start. I am still unsure BUT I think I would find out. I think I would spend too much time worrying about the unknown if I didn't and that's no way to live either.

The ending was kind of disappointing for me {ok maybe a lot} because I wanted to know if the youngest daughter tested positive or not. I get that the point is for us to make our own conclusions but there was so much build up to it and then THE END. arg.

{Would you find out?!}

Thank you again Brie. I am so excited to find out our next book!

Related Posts

4 comments:

Bex said...

Good for you for getting back into reading for you! It's such a good way to unwind from a crazy day. I just don't feel right unless I read a few pages before bed.

Brie @ A Slice of Brie said...

It makes me so happy that I gave you a reason to read a book for yourself :) :) And I'm glad you liked it! I was disappointed with the ending too...I like concrete endings! And the more I think about it since all the discussion about it, I would find out...the unknown would drive me crazy.

Whitney Cowan said...

I'm so jealous of you reading a book that has nothing to do with anything but for the pure pleasure of reading. So awesome!! Way to go!! xox (although this one sounds intense) ;)

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

LOVED this book too, except the ending! I didn't realize it was the same author as Still Alice until I got the book and I loved that one!