{Work It Out: OTF}

/
6 Comments
A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to check out Orange Theory Fitness with my friend Amy. She is a member and offered me a week pass - and to join me! There are a few locations in Calgary - with more popping up - and luckily there is one right down the hill from me.
***
The Philosophy {from their site}:
The physiological theory behind the Orangetheory workout is known as “Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption,” or EPOC. By providing you with a heart-rate monitor and POD, we can monitor your 5-zone interval training sessions that we call the Orange 60. During the 60-minute workout, you will perform multiple intervals designed to produce 12 to 20 minutes of training at 84% or higher of your maximum heart rate, which translates to Zones 4/5. This program design produces workout "afterburn" effect, which is an increased metabolic rate for 24 to 36 hours after the workout. When combing the amazing workout with EPOC, our clients burn an average of 500 to 1000 calories.

The Orangetheory workout will produce increased muscle Endurance, Strength and Power and if desired, tremendous weight loss. With energetic music, a talented group of fitness coaches and a high-energy studio, you have the recipe for a workout that produces BIG and LASTING results.
***
When you arrive you will notice everything is orange. It's bright. I liked it. ;) They will then set you up with a polar heart rate monitor [after they get your height and weight} that you wear all class. (Yes I had to weigh myself. Haven't done that since Delainey was 5 days old!)
There are 2 large TVs in the room that you can check on throughout the class to see what zone you are in and how many calories you are/have burned.


Like any group fitness class - I believe the instructor and the music can make or break the class. You need someone who is going to motivate you, push you, fix your form and knows what they are talking about. BUT not be be annoying while doing it - that can ruin a great workout. You also need music that keeps you going and makes you want to move. This class had both great music and the instructor was awesome.

Classes are all 1 hour - half the class is the cardio portion the other half is weight training. So one of the classes we were on the treadmill and did 4km in intervals. I don't love the treadmill at all but the intervals weren't bad and it helped that the instructor told you what to be doing and pushed me to increase my speed.


We then did a quick internal on the water rower before moving to the floor for the weight training block.
We did 3 different intervals here for 5 minutes each {at your station for you have a weight tree to choose how heavy you want to lift, a step, a bosu and a TRX system}.
We finished with a 5 minute core circuit and then stretched.
I burned 551 calories that class.
*
Another class we did a 30 minute weight interval portion doing a ladder of 6 different exercises for 20 reps, 19 reps, 18, 17, 16 yada yada until time ran out. Then we did a 1 mile run at your top speed on the treadmill on to a 1800m row on the water rower (deadly!)
Again we finished with core, some burpees and high fives.
I burned 484 calories this class.

Pros:
- Workouts change every day and you never know what is coming.
- I loved the fact that the instructor could see how hard we were working from the monitors and would come tell you kick it up a notch.
- This instructor was great about fixing form or telling you you looked great. Plus she was in crazy good shape herself.
-There was a modification for every move and this instructor gave another option if you wanted a challenge.
- Great variation - you work your total body.
- Live results. I liked being able to look up and see what zone I was in. I tried to always stay in green and orange but did get to red sometimes too.
- Right after class your heart rate summary gets emailed to you for future tracking/comparison.
- It was hard but fun!!

Cons:
- You wouldn't want to do these classes every day. Your body needs a break from HIIT style workouts.
- Treadmill. Lots of it. I HATE the treadmill. I will say in a class setting it wasn't so bad BUT I did dread it was so was happy there was some more rowing in my second class - until I realized how hard rowing is!
- The instructors talk you through all the training whether it's mileage, meters or exertion based and I will admit it was confusing at times but you'd catch on the more you go. Maybe it's just me and my dislike for numbers who knows.
- I actually had to leave the house. No seriously. I love my 2 workout buddies at home and how easy it is to go downstairs and do my workouts.
- It's expensive. Memberships are pricey so you would have to make sure you actually go and make use of it. I could buy a new Beachbody program for the cost of 1 month/8 visits to OTF.

Your 1st class is always free so be sure to check it out! I really loved the change and would love the option to just drop in here and there.
Thanks again Amy! 

Related Posts

6 comments:

Bex said...

I want to try this someday! Looks intense.

Kaella Carr said...

I heard about this a few weeks ago and would love to try a class. There's not one local but I would love to go to one in Calgary on a future visit. I enjoy trying new programs and group classes are a fun change!

Leigh said...

I might have to give it a try just to see what it's like once I'm back to working out :)

Jessah @ Dreaming of Dimples said...

We have one of these near me. I might have to try it out after the baby comes. Thanks for the info.

Nikki said...

We have one of thest being built not to far from me! I can not wait to try it, but like you I do like my at home workouts!

Amie@RunningOnHealthy.com said...

Great review! I want to try one of these classes one day.