[a new year]

/
14 Comments

Well like all my posts lately - I am tardy. I'm ok with it though. 
I am never one to really make resolutions. I like to set goals and challenge myself but I do that all year round so this won't be a big resolution post.

I do plan to make this year the very best it can be. I am so incredibly lucky to be at home with Delainey [and Cruz] for a year. And 3+ months have already blown by and now that I [sort of/for now] have this new Mommy role figured out I really want to cherish each moment and not let days go by just rushing through the motions.
Delainey is almost 15 weeks!? Cruz will be in 5 in May and we will have been married 5 years in June!? 
Where does the time go!! Obviously I cannot slow time down but I WILL enjoy each day. I admit that when we were going through fertility stuff I did rush through the days, I just wanted to get to the end of each month and if it wasn't "the month" I wanted to rush on to the next. 
So now that we are lucky enough to have Delainey I really want to focus on enjoying every moment. Even the hard ones. I always remind myself when I'm having a hard day and I feel like I have no clue what I am doing or why Delainey won't nap or I wish walking a dog and getting a baby ready for said walk in the snow and cold was WAY easier - that I wanted to kind of hard for SO long. So bring it on.
I will cherish all the cuddles. I will appreciate a smiley baby that wakes up from her 20 minute naps. I will [try] to laugh when it takes us 20 minutes to get out of the house for a walk only to get plummeted with a cold wind and snow up to our shins. I will enjoy the noisy chatter she makes, the crazy blow outs and the dog that thinks she needs more than 2 walks a day and dinner at 4pm. I don't want to forget these moments.
And you bet I will pretend my butt is crazy glued to the couch when Delainey falls asleep on me every once in a while. The do list can wait. And throwing a frozen pizza in the oven for dinner is ok.
Really I just want to be the best Mom I can be to both Delainey and Cruz. And the best wife I can be too. A supportive friend and family member. All while being the best me at the same time. Easy peasy right?!

Now for my winter goals:
I want to get back into my pre-Delainey shape [as much as I can] - by the time summer comes along but secretly by the time we take a trip to Arizona in April. ;)
I want to get out of the house more and maybe meet some other Mom's at a fitness class or a story time or something.
I want to finish the photo book I started of our pregnancy plus Delainey's first few days.
I want to enjoy lots of family time and date nights with Justin.
Unplug. Put the iphone down more. Unless to take photos and videos. You can never take enough of those in my opinion. :)

1 year ago today Justin and I went for our procedure that ultimately brought Delainey into our lives. 
So today I am just thankful. Laying in bed last night I was so content which was so different from a year ago last night. I remember not sleeping a wink. I was nervous for the procedure itself, I was scared it wouldn't work, I was excited that it just might work...and last night all was just right. And I was amazed (again!) that so much can change in a year. So I hope I can look back next year whether I am back sitting in my desk at work (nooooooooo!) or running after Delainey & Cruz and think back and feel like it really was our best year yet and we made it that.

Related Posts

14 comments:

Ashley said...

I can remember our texts from this day last year. This was one exciting month for you guys!!! Crazy to think back and know what we both went through, little did we know the best days of our lives were right around the corner!! Soo happy she is here safe and sound and that everything is going soo well. I think you have the perfect frame of mind to just take it all in day by day good or bad it is a blessing and not a lot of people have that understanding.

Katie said...

i am right this with you! especially on wanting this kind of hard! i need to remember it's okay to be exhausted or frustrated with something and that doensn't mean i'm not grateful but I also want to remember daily how lucky I am to have addilyn! i want to sign up for a baby class too! if only we lived by each other!! :)

Rachel Steck said...

What a sweet and perfect post. I feel that I've been with you {kind of} during the journey to Delainey and I am so happy for all the wonderful changes this past year has brought to you. Wonderful things happen to wonderful people. I couldn't be happier for you.
xoxo
Rachel

Nikki said...

Awe I love this Alison! I am so so happy for you and I know you will be the best mom and wife you possibly can be no doubt in my mind. You enjoy ever last second with your family before you go back to work.

Jennifer Golding said...

Aww Alison, this post made me cry (crazy pregnancy hormones....)! I am so so pleased for you. Your attitude and perspective is so inspiring, and I aspire to try and do the same with slowing down and just appreciating the little things in the next few months. I wish my little babe was already here so we could meet for a play date, but maybe in the future we can!

Murdock's mama said...

Love this post...I have tears in my eyes! A great reminder that life it truly what we make it!

Lindsey (a running tale) said...

Okay this made me tear up! I'm so happy for you guys. I hear you, I'm going to try and do the same things this year :-) Though I love being at home I've learned quickly that I need to go back to work. Stay at home.mom's AMAZE me. I.hope we cansee eeach other a few times this year'sand the girls can meet!

Leigh said...

Such a great post! I hope these next months while you are still off with D are fabulous!

Dad said...

Beautiful words AJ. What more can I say other than I love you very, very much. xoxo

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am so glad that the past year turned out the way it did for you guys. I didn't know you'd have a whole year at home with Delainey - that is just so wonderful! I am sure the time will go way faster that you'd like but it sounds like you are doing a good job of trying to soak up every moment!

Bex said...

No doubt about it, you are already a fantastic mom and woman all around. <3

Kae said...

what a great post friend. I agree with goals instead of resolutions.
loves. you are a amazing mom, wife, sister, daughter, and friend
xxoo

Gabriella said...

So incredible! It is so great that you are able to be home with her and Cruz and enjoy every single moment!! You are seriously the best Mom! Enjoy your sweet girls!

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

What a great post! 2013 was an amazing year and I know that 2014 will be even better!