17 of the greatest...

/
24 Comments
She was named after a phenomenal baseball player. 
And it's safe to say she by far exceeded in being MORE than a phenomenal dog.
The decision is never easy to say goodbye to a pet - they truly are a member of the family. She was our sister. My parents 3rd hairy child.
And I would not have wanted to be in my parents shoes today...
But it also broke our hearts to see her quality of life deteriorate. And Ripken's back/back legs were tired, old and just weren't doing their job like they needed to.
 Therefore today we had to say goodbye to our Rippers.
She was an amazing girl and we were lucky enough to have Ripken in our lives for 17 great years. I can still remember going to pick her up on that farm when I was just 13 - Jeff and I were sooooo excited. I am so thankful to my parents for having a dog in our lives for pretty much our whole lives - Brandy and then Ripken. 
We will always have so many memories with her - she loved boat rides, the lake as a whole, running with Mom and Dad, attacking the scrunchies from my hair when I was younger, was the most talkative dog I knew {especially with Dad} and she sure could be a pest when she wanted attention. She could sit there for hours pawing at you to keep petting her.
She took it upon herself to prove those wrong who said chocolate was poisionous to dogs. Her favorite was Bernard Callebaut (she once ate an entire box) but wouldn't say no to Halloween candy or other boxed chocolates. She could tear through the cellophane just to get the chocolatey goodness like nobodies business. 

I will also never forget a time her and I were home alone together and I all of a sudden heard things falling and breaking down stairs - I panicked thinking someone was breaking in but as I snuck downstairs all I saw was Ripken on top of the back of the couch trying to eat gingerbread cookies off the Christmas tree. She sure was a rascal.
I have her to thank for warming Justin's heart up to dogs. He loved Ripken so much that he was excited to have his own just like her.
Ripken put up with a crazy puppy when Cruz joined the family and even dealt with all the kisses Cruz insisted on giving her.
It was nice to have her with us this past weekend for thanksgiving and spoil her a little but at the same time it was bittersweet. We were able to get in some last cuddles and kisses and she really was a cuddle bug this weekend.
 We love you Ripken and miss you already in enormous amounts.
It's a very sad day for us but a happy day for Rowdy
She will be waiting for you Ripperkins with a tennis ball in her mouth. xoxo

Related Posts

24 comments:

Leigh said...

So sorry to hear that Ripken went to doggy heaven today :( It's never an easy choice. Sending you and your parent's a big hug today!

Amanda said...

I am so sorry it is so hard! I put my kitty down last month and my dog last year:( Prayers and higs to you!
xoxoxo
Amanda
www.insuranceoutlaw.com

Kae said...

I am sooooo sorry love. Losing a pet is like losing a person... prayers to you and your family :( loves

Laura said...

Ohh, that is so hard! We had to put our family dog down right after I left for college - We'd had her for 17 years, so almost my entire life. It's such a hard decision, but when they're in so much pain and not their old selves anymore, it's for the best. You're in my thoughts!

krink said...

My heart breaks for you all! Sending you soooooo much LOVE today and always!

We will all miss you Rippers!!!

Xoxo

Whit said...

She had THE BEST life any dog could dream of and more love than most dogs ever see -- Sending you guys lots of love and warm thoughts today. xox

Ashley said...

She had the sweetest face!!! As you know I am thinking about you and your family! This I swear is one of the hardest things in life!! Chin up sweety, she is no longer suffering and eatting all the chocolate and ice cream in heaven! I have 2 dogs up there as well that will help show her the ropes ;)

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

Oh I'm so sorry!! Losing a pet is one of the hardest things ever. Looks like she lived a very full life, and was very loved! Big hugs!

Kristin said...

oh soooooo sorry my heart is broken for yall. i hate losing pets

Rachel and John said...

So sorry Alison! I remember the day we had to put our childhood dog down.

Mom said...

What a lovely post! I know this would have been SO hard to write especially since you would have been typing through tears!! I can tell you Dad and I were reading it through tears :((( Thanks for this XOXO

Bex said...

So sad Alison. This definitely made me tear up. It's never easy saying good bye to beloved pets. My thoughts are with you

Katie said...

alison i'm so sorry. I remember losing my first dog and it was the dog I grew up with and was so hard. I remember saying I'd never get a dog of my own after that. I'm so glad I did because love our Molly so much. But it is SO hard to say goodbye to a pet. :(

Michelle said...

OH I'm so sorry for your lost girl! We get so attached to dogs and they make our lives so special! Glad you have Cruise to love on!

Nikki said...

Alison I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much a part if the family a dog becomes. It's so hard but you know she's in a better place. Thinking about you.

Tami said...

Aww.. this made me cry! I'm so sorry for the loss of sweet Ripken. We went through the same thing earlier this year with our Oscar and I still cry every time I think about him. It's amazing how those little fur balls can leave such big hole in our hearts! And, I had to laugh about the chocolate. Oscy was the same way! He once at an entire 5 lbs bag of christmas chocolate and was completely fine! Hugs to you and your parents!

RachelSteck said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did a great job honoring her. Thank you for sharing her with us blog readers. It seems she lived a fabulous life and couldn't have been loved more. Please know that I'm thinking of you and your family.

Gabriella said...

I am so sorry. That is never easy. You have 17 wonderful years of memories! Sending some hugs your way!

Caroline said...

OMG I am so sorry for your loss. I am tearing up just reading this. My heart breaks. Such a beautiful post.

Jessica said...

Wow. I'm so so so sorry for the loss of your family dog my friend. :(

Amy Nadeau said...

Oh Alison! I'm so sorry. It is such a sad day when you have to say goodbye.
Read this Rainbow Bridge Poem, it made me feel better - http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

Julie @ The Smitten Mintons said...

I'm crying like a baby right now. I'm so sorry to hear about this sweet girl. Losing a pet is losing a family member, and it never gets any easier. I'm glad to hear she lived such a long and happy life, and you know she is having a blast eating chocolate up in doggy heaven :)

Al said...

Ok, tears are just STREAMING down my face right now :( So sorry to hear this, but have been there in those shoes and can understand the loss :( And I can't read the Rainbow Bridge poem without LOSING it for the entire day. Know that she truly is bathing in chocolate right now! Lucky lady!
Love you, friend!!
xoxo

Janna Renee said...

Aww that's about how old I was when we got our family pet! It's amazing that they lived so long and we got to enjoy them as much as we could. RIP Ripken!