Mom's Soup & Answers.

/
12 Comments
I raved about my Mom's recipe for Butternut Squash Soup the other week and promised to post it so here it is.
Make it, you will not be disappointed. Promise.


Butternut Squash Soup


You will need:


2 tbsp olive oil
2.5 cups chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
(1) 2.5 pound butter nut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1 inch
5 cups (or more) chicken broth
1.5 cups V8
3  tsp chopped fresh thyme
grated orange peel and juice from 1 orange
1 tsp ground cumin

To do:
1. Heat oil in large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions, saute until tender. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, stir 1 minute.
3. Add squash and 5.5 cups broth, bring to a boil.
4. Simmer until squash is soft, about 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
5. Work in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth, return puree to pot.
6. Add thyme, cumin, orange peel and juice, then the V8.
7. Thin soup with more broth if desired. Simmer 3 minutes.
8. Season with pepper.
(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, cover and chill. Rewarm before serving.)

Serves 8.
Leftovers are delicious!!


Also I received some questions on my 2012 workouts post (there is a button on the left side of my blog that you can click to see it) so I thought I would answer those.




Do you really love working out? Or do you just do it b/c you love the results?

I do love working out for the most part. But as I have said before I really need to change my workouts up constantly. I get bored easily so need lots of variation is a must for me. I LOVE a new workout dvd or link, I am slightly obsessed. I don't always 'feel' like working out but once I start, I love it and always feel great when I am done (who doesn't!). Also, if I can't workout for whatever reason or have no time (for an extended period of time [like when we moved]) - I tend to get cranky. So workouts are a good stress reliever I have found and a must to my sanity.

When do you workout?

During the week, I work out after work. I come home, walk Cruz and then head straight for the basement. Unless I am going to a night class with my Mom or waiting to do a workout with Justin but I always workout before dinner.
My favorite part of the day is when it comes time to wash my face off and put comfy clothes on so that motivates me to get it done!
On weekends I usually workout after lunch. I feel better working out with food in my belly and lots of water (unless of course I am going to an morning class! Then I eat cereal and pound water first!)

Please do share your secrets: when do you fit it in, what do you sacrifice to do the workout/stay in good health, why you are motivated, how you can keep up with it? 

Adrian you crack me up, I wish I had special secrets! ha ha If anyone does please share them!!
I don't always fit it in but I try and schedule it into my day, tell myself I HAVE to do if before I can eat dinner or watch tv. I find that once I start I am eager to keep going and it just becomes routine. I try and workout 6 days a week (but this does not always happen!) and I have found that Fridays are usually my OFF days. I love coming home on a Friday and not having to worry about a workout, just getting into relax mode. aka PJs, a good glass of wine and the couch. :)

What motivates me? 
1. My parents. They are in ridiculously good shape and I want to keep up! 
2. The feeling after a good workout.
3. Feeling comfortable in my clothes and in my own skin is a biggie.
4. I also really like food. I will rarely turn down my Mom's baking, dessert, wine, ice cream...so I workout so I don't have to worry so much. I don't diet or count calories, ever. We eat pretty healthy and enjoy when I want.

I am in no way SUPER fit nor exactly where I want to be, but I am one day closer to getting there. There are days that I just do not want to work out so I don't. I am learning to just do what my body tells me and not to push it if I am not feeling well.


But I do love a great work. Last night Justin and I did the Strength workout from The Asylum and it was awesome. I had done it before but there are some great moves (and one miiiillllliioon push-ups) and it was hard work - plus we did it together which is much more enjoyable! 
The best part is when Shawn T say Peace to the o-u-t. Then you know you are done! 


So there. That's all! :) I think I answered all the questions. Please let me know if I missed one. :) Happy Tuesday!


Related Posts

12 comments:

Jessica said...

Yum, that soup sounds so good!

Tami said...

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I'll definitely be making it ASAP. I loved reading your answers about your workout routine. Girl- 6 days a week is amazing! I feel accomplished if I squeeze in 4! All of your working out definitely pays off- you look fabulous!

Leigh said...

Mmm, saving and printing the recipe as I type! :) I am also a 6 day a week workout person. Love feeling accomplished and better about myself after a workout. There are many days where I don't want to do it, but I still do.

Natalie said...

I think it's awesome you are motivated but allow yourself flexibility-like on days where you don't feel like it, you don't! Unfortunately for me, that would be every day haha ;) I do think once you get into it though it becomes more enjoyable and you want to do it more, at least for me!

Lindsey (a running tale) said...

I am with you, the best part of working out is going home, showering and putting on sweat pants! I used to love Sundays, since I had my long runs when I was marathon training and would just wear sweats all afternoon and lay around! haha

Leslie said...

yum!! I love trying out other people's favorite recipes! and mom's soups are ALWAYS delicious!

Kae* said...

So happy to read all the blogs I missed :)

Jamie said...

Yum, butternut squash soup!

Jennifer Delle Fave said...

There are a billion butternut squash recipes--that one sounds great too! Thanks for posting on all the workout tips. You really are inspiration to us fellow bloggers!! Have a great night.

Kristin said...

That soup looks amazing! I am going to have to try it out! And oh, I wish I had your workout dedication. I wish you lived in Nashville - I could totally use someone with your motivation cheering me on! :)

Ashley said...

AWESOME inspiration lady! loved this post!

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

I usually work out in the evenings during the week. I try to get my workout in before dinner or else I keep pushing it back until it's too late! On the weekends it's a bit harder because my schedule is all over the place.

I workout for the same reasons you do- I like how I look but also how I feel. I am super grumpy when I miss too many workouts. I need those endorphins!

I like to switch things up (which I why I enjoyed triathlon) but the workouts can't be too complicated choreography wise or else I just get lost!!