Top 2 Tuesday!

/
8 Comments

Top 2 Things you've learned from your parents or grandparents...

They have all taught Jeff and I SO much but 2 things that pop out at me right now are:
(1) Treat others the way you want to be treated.
(2) You've got to work for what you want. Whether is it money, jobs, dreams or relationships.
One thing my parents did (which I think is great) is they didn't buy us cars, condos, houses or those big items in life. Jeff and I worked hard to buy our first cars or truck.
Of course Mom and Dad (and all of our grandparents) were there to help us if we needed a cheaper loan than the bank would offer or advice but it wasn't just given to us which I really appreciate. I think when you work hard for something you definitely appreciate it more in the long run. Sure it meant many late nights working at Ceilis Irish Pub or some summer jobs that weren't all that much fun (didn't you sweep one summer straight Bud!) but overall I think it was a great lesson.
P.S. I am super happy because Jolie is in Colombus visiting Jeff! :)
Makes my heart smile for them. Have a great trip!

Related Posts

8 comments:

Caroline said...

Great lessons and I am so happy that Jolie could go down there!!!

Jaclyn said...

My favorite thing I've learned from a grandparent: It was at my aunt's wedding, and they did that thing where you dance w/ your partner and have to sit down until the only people who are standing have been married the longest. The DJ asked them what the secret is to love lasting so long. My grandpa speaks very broken English, and I'm not 100 percent positive he heard the DJ right (I like to think he did). He says, "Good food."

Beth McC. said...

Love this post and my Pap-Paw has said many times that "You have to work for it"!!

Whitney said...

LOVE THIS!! I can sooo relate!! Your Character can't be bought.

Rachel and John said...

What good advice!!

krink said...

I definitely agree with your lessons. Especially with having to work for what you want. It was like that with Justin and I too. We had jobs from the time we were like 14 and on. That way if we wanted something we had to use our own money and buy it. It makes you appreciate what you have significantly more, and it also helps teach you about the value of money, and what is really important in the world. Hopefully that's something we can pass on to Emerson!

krink said...

Oh and I forgot to mention that I <3 your brother and Jolie too, and I hope they are having a great little reunion trip!!!

Kristin said...

I agree, when you pay for something yourself, it means so much more and you have a greater appreciation for it.