A request. A simple one. I promise.

/
12 Comments
Justin just called me for no reason other than to say "Aren't you posting today?". Geesh.
2 weeks ago I didn't post on a Friday and I heard about it all weekend from Mom and Justin. :)
So here you two go, now quit your whining!

So since I really didn't have anything planned for today, I have a request. 
It's simple really and I know you will enjoy it and hopefully thank me afterward. 
So, if you love me, please:

WATCH THIS:


READ THIS:


 Thank you!

Autism is something that is very near and dear to my heart.
It fascinates me, inspires me to learn, teaches me and some of my favorite people in this world have it.

I feel I am well educated in the world of autism and still, this movie and this book taught me SO much. It opened my eyes more and gave me more insight and perspective.
I bought a necklace a few weeks ago from Jaclyn1423 on Etsy and it just came today. 
She makes these necklaces called Hot Dogs for Autism.

Her brother has autism and eats hot dogs like they are going out of style! 
$5 from every Joey's Hot Dog purchase will go toward Autism Speaks, the U.S.'s largest group for the treatment, research and cure for autism. 
So far Jaclyn has made $187 on these necklaces. Jaclyn you rock!
(Check them out, you can choose the color of bead, add your initial and mine was only $11... click here)

Happy Friday!




Related Posts

12 comments:

Jonathan & Ashley Slater said...

I loved the movie temple grandin! Oprah had a show and a meat company let the camera's in and they had a system designed by temple. Also saw her at the oscar's with claire danes!

Rachel and John said...

I have never heard of that movie! Thanks for letting me know!

Leigh said...

I will have to get Brian to download that movie. Such an aspiring thing she is doing! :)

Jaclyn said...

What an amazing post! Thank you thank you thank you for doing this!!! I love me a good autism book,too. Two I can recommend:

* Born on a Blue Day, by Daniel Tammet. He has Asberger's, not autism, and is a savant, but having something who is so able with words really helps with the understanding.

* Strange Son, by ... I'm blanking on her name, but she founded Cure Autism Now (CAN), which merged with Autism Speaks a few years ago.

I've read others, but those two reeeeally stuck with me.

D @ The best things in life said...

What a great post! My Mom has ALWAYS worked with disabled children and specifically worked one on one with a child for a year in Austin, TX while we lived there. I think it's awesome that you bought that necklace, I think i'll order one for my Ma! :)

Have a great weekend love!

Lauren said...

Yay! I'm so glad you were able to find Jaclyn and your hot dog necklace is so cute :) I've read Houser Rules and loved it. I need to watch that movie though.

Logan said...

Thank you!! I admitt, I was wondering if you were going to do a post today?!! I love it, I want to read that, book, but I havent even opened the one that goes with the course im taking and it is and 8 nweek course and only 2 weeks to go!! One day........:)

Megan said...

What a great post! I will definitely be checking that book out. I love Jodi!

Kathy said...

This is the first time I've commented on your blog, I'm just a random stranger who randomly found your blog and have kept reading! A great Canadian organization is National Service Dogs (http://www.nsd.on.ca/), they raise and train dogs to serve children with autism. The puppies are raised in homes by volunteers and then when they are a bit older they go to the centre for training and then to a family. It's amazing what a difference a dog can make for a child with autism and for their family!

Kristin said...

What a great idea, cute too!

Desi said...

Hello there! I just found your blog through Pass the Puck. I think the hotdog necklace is such a cute and fun way to raise money for autism. I will also need to watch temple grandin.

Jessica said...

I've heard that movie is great and what a great way to spread awareness!