Happy Tears

/
9 Comments
Ok so here is my story I mentioned yesterday that produced the happy tears.
I love happy tear by the way.

So at school we have this sweet little girl.
She's not the only one of course but she is pretty darn special.
Let's call her Molly. She is 6 years, has autism and is in our primary class.
We are a small school, only 43 students so we easily know them all by name but even if you are simply a visitor at our school Molly makes sure you 'know' her, even with her limited language and non-existent social skills.
She escapes from her classroom on a daily basis to visit me. And by visiting I mean she tries to find the gum in my purse, check out my bulletin board photos of Cruz, play with my hair and ALWAYS to see if I have a piano.


She loves pianos and thinks we all have one we are hiding from her!
The first thing she will say to is "piano?". 

Long story short... this little girl has been through more than anyone I have ever, ever heard of in her 6 short years. I truly am amazed she lived through the first 2 years of her little life. I learned more about her past in the last couple weeks and it made me physically ill to hear it and I didn't even get the whole story. I have said this before and I have never meant it more - some people should not be allowed to have kids.
One of our therapist put it best, she said you couldn't even make a movie about Molly's first 2 years of her life because it would have to be rated worse than R. Gross.

For this reason Molly has many behaviors that are not considered to be typical. She has limited language, but oh my goodness gracious the progress she has made since I met her 1.5 years ago is tremendous. She is extremely impulsive and if you blink Molly is gone (meaning in my office!) or the closest open window. Seriously she is part monkey. She will eat anything. Yes - she has proven this to us. Anything. She is not toilet trained and needs constant supervision at all times. She gets frustrated very easily and the smallest thing can ruin her day in the worst way possible and we don't put anything past her - kicking, hitting, spitting - our sweet Molly does it all. But she is SO loved here in the school. We are her second "family".
Molly has been coming to our school for 4 years. For the last 2 of those years she has been with the same foster family who have been the best "family" she could ever ask for. They love her like she is their own, except she isn't.
Two weeks ago I received a very unexpected phone call from Molly's social worker.
"We have a potential adoptive parent for Molly...in Edmonton" she said.
My heart lept and sank.
Edmonton? But we are in Calgary.
And Molly NEEDS us, the truth is WE need her. But SHE NEEDS a real family.


So the last few weeks has been a whirlwind. We have had many meetings for Molly, we have met her potential adoptive Mom, we introduced Molly and "Mom" and I have spent hours on the phone with different schools in Edmonton trying to find THE BEST school to meet her needs. {This is tough since she currently attends THE BEST school for her (wink!).}
But I have it narrowed down to 2 school that are worthy of our Molly.


Since last Friday when Molly and "Mom" met it has been a waiting game to see if this potential Mom would "accept" the adoption and follow through turning Molly into her daughter. Something that Molly has truly never experienced before. There have been many 'ifs'.
Would she have changed her mind after meeting Molly? After seeing what Molly is all about. Would she have been scared away by her past and the amount of support Molly needs?

Well I got the call yesterday morning. All the social worker had to say was "The papers are signed!"
And there you have it. Molly's life was changed, forever, for the better. She now will have a Mom. Finally someone who will love her and not get paid to love her. A constant, a forever.

But we are losing our Molly. Tomorrow.


We decided it would be easier for Molly to have Christmas break and then not come back to our school but go straight to her new school.
Her new Mom will spend some time at the foster family's house to learn about Molly's at home routine and needs and then in early January Molly will get settled into her new home. 
Her welcome home gift? A piano.


That's when I knew Molly would be loved.

So there's my happy tears. We have had a lot of tears over this little girl but we are SO happy for her. We will miss her. s.o. m.u.c.h. And our little school just won't be the same without her running around questioning everyone 'piano?'.
Her story makes me think of Carrie Underwood's song "Temporary Home".

And I just wanted to thank my incredible friend Whitney for her super sweet email this morning. It made my day, it was like a hug over email. I hope everyone is as lucky to have someone in thier life like Whit. Over the last year she has become one of my very best friends and she is my go-to girl when I need a vent - so thank you. xo 



Related Posts

9 comments:

Logan said...

What a lovely story!!

Rachel and John said...

Aw so nice!
You may have put her real name in there a few times....I wasn't sure if you knew:)

krink said...

Awwww... that is the saddest and happiest story all rolled into one! You just have to keep believing that she will be happy, loved and cherished the way she deserves in her new home! *hugs*
<3 you!!!

Jenny said...

I love this story! It is always such a happy day when any child gets their forever home, but even more special to see a special needs child get theirs!

Mom said...

Now how great is that? And at Christmas time. Wow :) What a VERY special 'Mom' that lady must be to be able to open her heart and home to little Molly. I hope she keeps in touch with your school.
No tears here....nope...none at all. Excuse me while I go blow my nose!!

Suze said...

Awww what a sweet special story! I cried happy tears too sweet lady! But i hope that molly still remains in touch with y'all because y'all helped mold her into where she is now and lets hope that her new mom , my prayers are that , she(molly) will get exactly what she needs even though she already got that piano! tooo special and even at christmas :)

Jessica said...

Wow, your story really did bring a tear to my eyes. I'm so happy for Molly. The fact that her new "mom" cared so much to give her that piano makes me hope and pray she's good to her for the rest of her life.

Congrats to Molly, she's one well-deserving little girl. :,)

Kristin said...

This is happy tears!! I am so happy she has a mom now! I wish her the best!

Venassa said...

Aww I'm so happy for her. That must be so comforting to you guys knowing she's being adopted by someone who seems to genuinely care about her.