Thoughtless Thursday...

/
7 Comments

This post is going to be a little of this and a little of that.

 Mom forwarded me some of Jeffers grad pics so I thought I better share, mostly because he looks pretty cool in a grad cap!

Dad, Jeff & Mom
The Gang
 Jeff next to his hockey stall - looking good Jeff!

The hockey boys - we'll miss you!


Good work Bud!

Stop, Drop & Smile!
Back in the fall I saw a clip on the news about a local family that really struck me. 
They were a young couple who had both been fighting different forms of cancer and had a young son. I began following both of their blogs because they were just such a dedicated couple and their strength, attitudes and way of fighting back just blew me away. 
Tasha had an aggressive form of breast cancer and Ryan had a brain tumor. 
Unfortunately on April 4th of this year Ryan passed away. But before he did, he sat down with a friend of his and wrote a book about his battle and how he kept a ridiculously positive attitude on life throughout. 
It is titled "Stop Drop and Smile". I have been waiting patiently for it to be released and I got an email on Monday that it was now on sale! I bought 2 copies and was thrilled when I got them in the mail yesterday (thank you Canada Post). 
Tonight Justin went to help Troy build their fence so after I got my list of chores done (went for a run with Cruzie, did Insane Abs, mowed the lawn, vacuumed, dusted, did garbages/recycling AND decided which appetizers I am making for the shower this weekend - gasp) I sat my butt down on the couch with my Kleenex and a handful of jujubes (they are for the shower I know but I totally opened them!) and I read the book from cover to cover. Amazing. It is a little book, only 87 pages long but it is jam packed with feeling, honestly and optimism. It was a really great read that made me really realize (again) how lucky our situations are and how petty the things are that we work ourselves up over when really we should be thankful and just be happy or as Ryan says "just be". 
I love so much of his insight, especially that on our fast paced society and how much we can learn from kids and about how we can't change situations that are dealt to us we can only change our attitudes towards them. Thank you Ryan.
I would really recommend the book to anyone just to bump up their way of thinking or as a gift to someone who has or is battling cancer/illness. I know I bought 2 copies because I knew even before I reading it I would want all my family and friends to read it.  
And they will! 
Below is a link to Ryan's blog and from there is a link to the book.

"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

Related Posts

7 comments:

Katie said...

this was a great post! loved the pics and def love the story of ryan and his wife.

have a great day!!!

Rachel and John said...

Sounds like a great book! I just ordered it. Thanks for sharing and congrats to your brother.

J and A said...

Thanks Katie!
Rachel I am so glad you ordered it, you won't be sorry. Let me know what you think when you're done!
Have a gret day ladies!

Lindsay said...

Stopping by from life in the fulmer lane :) Love your blog and great pictures!!!

Kate said...

Wow that sounds like a great book. I will have to add another one to my summer reading list. Your blog is so cute! Your header is really cool! I am a new follower! ( :

Mom said...

I didn't know Ryan had passed away. I remember reading about this couple. I will definitely read the book with kleenx and jujubes!! I hope Tasha is doing well.

Emily said...

Wow, that book sounds heartbreaking and motivating. Phenomenal. Thanks for suggesting it!!