Happiness 8:00am-3:30pm......

/
7 Comments
What a difference a year makes!


Last year at this time I was down right grumpy at work. Counting down the days until I was off before the wedding, knowing I would not be back in September. It was a relief knowing that, but also heartbreaking.
I remember being in University knowing my goal was to get a job at R. When I did that before even graduating I was on cloud nine. I spent 5 years loving my job, the kids & staff I worked with, the challenges, the experience and all the knowledge I was seeping in. It was grand. I changed positions within the agency quickly and loved the diversity of my work. Children with disabilities was my passion and I got paid to spend my days with them, what more could I ask for?
Well, in the end I wanted respect, appreciation and to be valued. None of which were being given.
I spent most of my summer worried about finding a new job and scared I would have to go back to R unhappy and defeated if I didn't. Justin reassured I would not go back.


Sad to say, but it was the best feeling delivering my 4 page resignation letter along with my keys.
Change is good.
Thankfully, the last week of August I accepted a job in a senior class in a private school for kids and teens with autism.
This means that they aren't 3-6 year old, cute, hug wanting, game & play-doh playing kids with special needs.
This meant I had six hormone fighting 13-19 year old teenage BOYS with autism! Hello learning curve.
I would be lying to say I wasn't a little nervous but was also very excited.
This year has been (as Tony the tiger would say) grreeeaaat!!!
I have felt appreciated each and every day, been a valued employee and teacher, have laughed every day times 10 and enjoyed coming to work each day, which was a feeling I really missed.
Don't get me wrong, there have been challenges. I mean for one - they are teenage boys.- enough said!
And two, I didn't understand Grade 10 Math in Grade 10 let alone now. So try teaching it, oh gawd.
Thank goodness for the internet or passing it off to the teacher I work with.
I am the first to agree with them - math is stupid. 
But we have fun, they are great guys who have transformed in many ways before my very eyes this year. They have matured, become more respectful towards others, grown taller than me and most importantly learned to respect and love themselves a little more too.
The best thing I heard one of them say last week as we were traveling back from swimming was, "having autism is just like having freckles, who cares man".
My eyes welled up with tears a little I'm not gonna lie.

Last year I was counting down the days until summer (mostly for the wedding yes) but because I knew I couldn't spend another day in that job.
This year (sure we are counting down the days until summer) but to be honest - I am gonna miss my burping, inappropriate joke making, shoe loving, DS playing, complaining about homework, hilarious boys.


Happy Friday everyone!
We are off to the lake and then Steve & Lindsey's wedding in Edmonton on Saturday.
I can't wait. I love me some weddings!

Related Posts

7 comments:

Leigh said...

Just came across your blog and wanted to say that it's cool finding other blogs from Calgary! It doesn't seem like there are a lot of Canadian bloggers out there..

Hope you have a great weekend!

Rachel and John said...

It's so great that you love your job now! I hope I can't find a job I love when I'm done school too.

Rachel and John said...

ha! I meant CAN find a job I love

woodlandsblonde said...

Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned :) It's always tough to do things for people when you're not feeling appreciated! I know how that is!

I'm glad that you got out of that situation and found something you love :) All good things take time....and I believe that happiness is a choice for sure!

Carolyn @ life, love and puppy prints said...

This is such a great post! Love the blog! I'm a new follower! :)

Tatum-LeTard said...

There is nothing worse than counting the days from not being content. I have been there, and I think the worst part is that you are counting the days of your one and only LIFE away! I try really hard to not do that during the week. It's so difficult to not just LIVE FOR THE WEEKENDS sometimes though :) Congrats on a better year, and may there be many more to come! Glad I ran across your blog!

Tara Gibson said...

found your blog off pink sass! so cute! you guys are pretty adorable together!